Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Do you really love me or are you just saying that because I have you in a lock head!?"

In all my dating wisdom, I've come to realize that a healthy dose of similarities and differences are necessary so that you don't get bored or have uncontrollable urges to smother your partner while they sleep. Common sense, yes, but it's amazing how often people look for the missing piece to their puzzle, the yin to their yang, and the sweet to their sour.

Meg and I have that...she is the corner piece to my curvy boundaries, the long-haired yin to my Doc Marten yang, the double chocolate fudge to my malt vinegar.

In other words, she completes me.
But what has shocked me is how those differences are so easy to swallow because of the commonalities. Just like Ani, "I know there is strength in the differences between us and I know there is comfort where we overlap". It's the comfort that makes our differences so easy to set out on the table like armor against anything that could come between us.

Over here lies Meg's love for family and my fierce loyalty to friends. In that corner is my logic and over there is Meg's heart, my attraction for the individual-above-all objectivist view and Meg's commitment to the common good, her musicality and my love of lyrics...but, right in the middle, we always come back to our unshakable appreciation for laughter, good food, sleeping in, questioning everything, organized spontaneity, and holding each other close through it all.

Without those, I honestly wouldn't be able to swallow her callous inability to stir the pot. She is wholly incapable of being dramatic. No worries, we're practicing. I have her repeating phrases such as "if you don't pass me the salt, I swear to the lord almighty I will drown your cat" or "can I get a hug or are you too busy thinking about the hot sex you had with (insert ex's name here)" and the tried-and-true gems like "do you really love me?" and "you can't ever leave me because I could never live without you".

For Meg's side, without the laughter, I don't think she could indulge my Gemini indecisiveness and 'oohh, shiny' career planning. She's one of those freaks who has known what she wanted to do and how to get there since she was 16. And she's doing it. On the other side of this, I have wanted to be a lesbian celebrity, a chef, a human resources manager, a blogger (heya!!), a sex therapist, a lawyer, a social worker, a copywriter, and a personal coach....all in the ten months we've known each other. To her credit, she's been double chocolate fudgey through it all.


And, whether I'm in a lock head or not, I love you.

No comments: